This self-guided Pugin Trail in Tasmania links the historic villages of Richmond, Colebrook and Oatlands and their three Pugin village churches, namely, St John the Evangelist's, St Patrick's, and St Paul's, as nowhere else in the world can be found three small Pugin village churches in such close geographical proximity. These churches represent three different realisations of Pugin's ideal for the realisation of a small English medieval village church, and are the perfect paradigm for Pugin's theories. Designed to be made with rudimentary craft skills, the little churches were uniquely constructed from detailed scale models, not drawings, with their more complex details copied from imported pattern stonework created specifically by Pugin for these buildings.
Click on the map to the right to enlarge, or HERE to download a map and directions.
St John the Evangelist's, Richmond
• Its 1859 steeple, chancel and sacristy derived from the largest of Pugin's three Tasmanian church designs
• Many copies of Pugin headstones in its historic cemetery
• The most visited church in Tasmania, it is Australia's oldest continuously-used Catholic church