Chronological Gazetteer of the works of E.W. Pugin
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010 This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
WORKS FOR THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND
These are few in number, and only one of EW Pugin's two Anglican churches survives, namely that at Kingsdown (near Sittingbourne) in Kent (see C Blaker, True Principles, vol i(vii), 1998/9), the spire of which is surrounded, towards its apex, by a distinguishing coronet, such as characterises some other spires designed by EW Pugin.
The remainder of the work in this category consists mainly of relatively minor alterations or additions to existing buildings by other architects, an exception being the extensive restoration work at Burton-le-Coggles.
An interesting uncorroborated attribution is a Memorial Chapel (for Frederick Winterbottom, second husband of Baroness Weld), the design of which is a one bay (square) version of the Scholefield and de Trafford Chantries.
ALTERATIONS AND ADDITIONS
- 1853-54: Madresfield, Worcs. - St. Mary the Virgin (for Henry Beauchamp Lygon - 4th Earl Beauchamp): in the shape of a parallelogram with 2 projections on the N. side, one with seats for the Lygon family, the other containing the family vault to which the Norman doorway from the earlier church formed the entrance. The church was dismantled in 1866 on account of foundational problems, but the roof was re-used over the chancel of the new church of 1867, built one quarter of a mile to the West, to the design of F Preedy of Worcester, and which contains some fittings, including the E. & W. windows, font, pulpit and reredos, from the EW Pugin building.
- 1864-65: Kingsdown (near Sittingbourne), Kent - St. Catherine (for Thomas Pemberton Leigh - 1st Baron Kingsdown): a small aisleless church (built on the site of an earlier church) with stained glass by Hardman & Co, and high quality stone carving by RL Boulton. The church is now redundant, and is maintained (since 1989) by the Churches Conservation Trust. The parsonage is not by EW Pugin, but by W Burn.
- c.1873: Woolton Hill, East Woodhay, Nr Newbury, Berks. - Memorial Chapel: in the churchyard of St Thomas' church, for John Frederick Winterbottom, second husband of Baroness Weld. A small, square building (with pyramidial roof) of one bay per side, the design of which is similar those of the de Trafford and Scholefield Chantries; demolished 1931.
ALTERATIONS AND ADDITIONS
- 1853-56: Beverley, Yorks. - Oversees completion of AWN Pugin's restoration at St Mary's Church: comprises completion of the W. front, addition of flying buttresses to S. transept & erection of a weather-vane, AWN Pugin's last design, on SW. pinnacle of the tower.
- 1855-59: West Tofts, Norfolk - Oversees the completion of AWN Pugin's chancel in St. Mary's Church: chantry chapel on one side, vestry with organ loft above on the other.
- 1864: Clipsham, Leics. - Brass monument in St Mary's Church.
- 1866: Ormskirk, Lancs. - Restoration and improvements of the Scarisbrick Chapel in Ss Peter's & Paul's Anglican Church: not completed (under the direction of P Balmer of Ormskirk, but according to the original plans) until 1877.
Burton-le-Coggles, Lincs. - Extensive restoration work in St Thomas Becket's Church: includes
buttressing, new chancel roof, baptistery, a complete rebuild of the E. wall,
and provision of numerous internal fittings.
- 1853: Boston, Lincs. - Font in St Botolph's Church: given by AJB Hope (Beresford Hope after 1854).