Chronological Gazetteer of the works of E.W. Pugin
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010 This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
CATHEDRALS • MONASTERY PARISH CHURCHES • PARISH CHURCHES • CEMETERY CHAPELS
CHAPELS CONNECTED WITH COLLEGES AND INSTITUTIONS • DUAL-PURPOSE CHAPEL/SCHOOL-ROOM BUILDINGS
PRIVATE CHAPELS • CONVENT CHAPELS
CHAPELS CONNECTED WITH COLLEGES AND INSTITUTIONS • DUAL-PURPOSE CHAPEL/SCHOOL-ROOM BUILDINGS
PRIVATE CHAPELS • CONVENT CHAPELS
The largest parish church designed by EW Pugin is that in Dadizele, Belgium (Fig.34), which has both a clerestory and a triforium, and which can seat at least 1400 people. More typically, a large urban church in the UK, such as that at Longton (Fig.19) measuring 140ft×50ft, could accommodate 1000 people; by contrast, his smallest church, measuring only 60ft×24ft, and seating only about 300 worshippers, is that at Peel in the Isle of Man.
As in the case of two of the cathedrals designed by EW Pugin, his father's spirit hovers over two of his churches, namely that at Rugby, belonging to his second phase, and that at Nechells, Birmingham belonging to the third; for both of these churches are extensions of earlier buildings by AWN Pugin, portions of which were integrated into the new structures. As such, they should, strictly speaking, be entered in Section C, but in view of the fact that EW Pugin's extensions completely define the present buildings, they have been included here.
Good examples of presbyteries associated with EW Pugin are those at All Saints, Barton-on-Irwell, and at St Vincent, Liverpool.
Representative of EW Pugin's unrealised church designs is that for a projected Chapel of Ease in Sutton Coldfield. Another is that for a projected steeple for the church in Stafford, which is of interest in view of its similarity with that of the Augustinian church in Dublin (Fig.33), and that at Scarisbrick Hall (Fig.68).
Figs. 35a, b • The integration of part of an AWN Pugin church into a much larger new one: a) St Marie, Rugby showing EW Pugin's new nave to the right of the older parts and the saddle-back tower, (the higher spired tower is by B Whelan, 1871-2) (Private Collection); b) St Joseph, Nechells, where EW Pugin added a nave and N. aisle to AWN Pugin's original chancel & Lady Chapel (Private Collection)
COMMISSIONS/WORKS NOTIFIED IN CONTEMPORARY ARCHITECTURAL JOURNALS AND ELSEWHERE, WHICH WERE POSSIBLY ERRONEOUSLY ATTRIBUTED, NEVER EXECUTED, OR FOR WHICH NO EVIDENCE OF EXECUTION HAS YET BEEN FOUND
- 1852(25 Mar)-54(12 Feb): (with JA Hansom): Leith, EH6 6AW, Scotland - St Mary, Star of the Sea/Stella Maris (& presbytery): completion of AWN Pugin's church, which became a Parish Church in 1859 for the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. S. aisle added 1898-1900, and the semi-octagonal apsidal chancel in 1910-12 (both by Pugin & Pugin), when the orientation of the church was reversed, and a door cut into the original E wall. High Altar & side altars (to the Sacred Heart & Our Lady) all by Sebastian Pugin Powell of Pugin & Pugin, and installed 1913 (when the new chancel was opened), with carving by Vickers of Glasgow, and RL Boulton of Cheltenham, respectively. The Benediction Throne and surmounting spire to the High Altar were removed in the 1970s (on safety grounds!). Stained glass (1880-82) by Barnett & Son of Leith. Presbytery of 1860.
- 1853(8 Sept)-54 (25 Oct): Crook, DL15 9DN, Co. Durham - Our Lady Immaculate & St Cuthbert (& presbytery): built under the auspices of Mgr Newsham of Ushaw, and Thomas Wilkinson (later Bishop of Hexham & Newcastle). Apart from the SW. tower (completed by Dunn, Hansom & Fenwick in 1897 to a modified design with a crenellated parapet and angle pinnacles), the exterior has marked similarities with Our Lady Help of Christians, Shrewsbury. Original E. window stained glass by Hardman & Co, and Minton encaustic tiles in the sanctuary. Considerable damage was caused by a gas explosion in 1861. Original High Altar & reredos were replaced ones by FJ Bentley in 1864, part of his High Altar now being in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel.
- 1855(May)-56(13 Jan): Blairgowrie, PH10 6DE, Perthshire, Scotland - St Stephen: commission obtained through the Rt Rev James Gillis (Bishop of the Eastern District of Scotland, and an old ally of AWN Pugin. The church occupies the eastern end of the building (demarcated externally by a join in the roof-line and a change to pointed windows); the western end was used originally used as a school-room, and is now the church hall. Stained glass by Barnett of Leith.
- 1855(12 Nov)-56: Willenhall, WV13 1DA, W. Midlands - St Mary: originally a Chapel of Ease served from Bilston until 1863, after which it became an independent parish. Church completely furnished by 1864; it was demolished, and replaced in 1906 with a church by AJC Scoles.
- 1855(14 Nov)-56(7 Dec): Everton, Liverpool, L5 0RR, Merseyside - Our Lady Immaculate: project for a chapel (dedicated to St Edward, King & Confessor) dates from 1853; the project evolved into a scheme for a cathedral of the same dedication, of which only the Lady Chapel & flanking side-chapels were built, which later became the parish church of Our Lady Immaculate. Baptistery of 1876, large 'nave' extension in brick, 1885. The roof of the original Pugin building suffered bomb damage in 1941; church reopened 1945. The entire complex was demolished in the early 1980s, and a new church opened in 1986.
- 1856(8 April)-57(26 Aug): Liverpool, L1 0AB, Merseyside - St Vincent de Paul (& presbytery): project (to replace a wooden chapel) dates from 1854. Interior of the nave is very similar to Our Lady Help of Christians, Shrewsbury. The projected Baptistery at the NW. angle was never built. The bell (housed in an elegant wrought-iron W. end bell-cote surmounted by a lead-covered spirelet) was blessed by Bishop Goss on 12th July, 1857; chancel & side-chapel floors of Spanish chestnut & Riga oak (intended for the grand banqueting hall at Alton Towers). Reredos by EW Pugin designed 1867 (with statues sculpted by W Farmer) unveiled completed 1875. Lady altar 1899, St Joseph's altar 1918, both by Pugin & Pugin; marble-panelled front & sides to High Altar installed 1927.
- 1856(6 May)-57(19 Nov): Wrexham, LL11 1RB, Clwyd, N. Wales - Our Lady of Sorrows (& presbytery): known locally as St Mary's; built through the munificence of R Thompson (sometime of Stansty Hall); original bell (by J. Murphy of Dublin) installed 3 Jan 1864. The church became the Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of Menevia in 1898, and the Cathedral of the Diocese of Wrexham in 1987. Carving by Geflowski of Liverpool, and stained glass by Hardman & Co (1908-11). Original sanctuary fittings, including the Bishop's throne (all by PP Pugin) were removed/destroyed in the 1950s, the mensa of the High Altar being relocated in the former Lady Chapel (now the Blessed Sacrament Chapel). N. porch added 1957; other extensions 1966-68.
- 1856(30 May)-57(1 Dec): Blackpool, FY1 1LB, Lancs. - Sacred Heart (formerly Jesuits): built through the munificence of Miss Monica Tempest (sister of Sir Charles Tempest, Bt. of Broughton Hall, Yorks.). E. window by Capronnier of Bruxelles, chancel & clerestory windows by Wailes, and aisle windows by Barnett of Leith; chancel decorated in 1860 by Mr Harley of Hardman & Co. Peal of eight bells installed 2nd Sept 1866. E. end extensively rebuilt by Pugin & Pugin, 1894-95, but retaining stonework from the original chancel arch & sanctuary, as well as other items including the original High Altar (with figures to the design of JH Powell, carved by Lane), the E. window, Lady Chapel & pulpit; the extension is lit by an octagonal lantern over the crossing, similar, but much larger, than that originally at Childwall, Liverpool.
- 1857(8 Sept)-67(1 Sept): Dadizele, Belgium 8890 - Basilica of the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady: this commission was won by competition, and executed in collaboration with the Flemish architect, P. Croquison who was succeeded by J-B Béthune, a relative of the Bishop of Bruges, the Rt Rev J-B Malou. The projected flèche over the W. gable was never built. The design differs somewhat from an earlier one with J Murray in which there was no flèche and the crossing tower lacked the stage that now forms the base of the spire (built 1892-95 to Béthune's design). Internal fittings not completed until 1874; 19th century stained glass by Verhaegen (who bought Béthune's atelier). The church (including the tower & spire) was badly damaged during WWI, but was restored 1920-24 by Mons. Waffelaert; it was damaged also in WWII, after which it was again restored. A major programme of restoration was commenced in 1998, and is still continuing as of 2010. For his design of this church, EW Pugin was created Knight of the Order of St Sylvester by Pope Pius IX, and was invested by Cardinal Wiseman at Ushaw on 21st July 1858, during the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the college.
- 1858(16 Aug)-59(22 Aug): Kentish Town, London NW5 2XT - Our Lady Help of Christians: replaced an earlier design by WW Wardell, the Foundation Stone of which was laid in 1849. Stained glass by AJ Mingaye, 1868; below the church are school-rooms. Remodelled 1876 (when a permanent High Altar & reredos were installed), and used until 1970 when the Catholics and Methodists exchanged church buildings.
- 1858(8 Sept)-59(3 Nov): (with J Murray): Great Harwood, BB6 7BE, Lancs. - Our Lady & St Hubert (& presbytery): built through the munificence of J Lomax of Clayton Hall, and contains memorial windows (by Hardman & Co) to him and to his wife's family - the Walmesleys of Wigan (see Ince in Makerfield); High Altar and altar in the Founder's Chantry Chapel carved by W Farmer of Westminster. Church reopened on 9th Oct 1864 after repairs and redecoration (through the munificence of J Lomax) to the designs of JH Powell by John Earley of Dublin. The Founder (James Lomax) was a keen hunter, and St Hubert is the Patron Saint of Hunters. A descendant, Michael Trappes-Lomax, 1900-1972 (grandson of James' niece, Helen) was the author of a biography of AWN Pugin - Pugin, a Mediaeval Victorian, published by Sheed & Ward, London, 1932.
- 1859(2 Feb)-60(15 Aug): Liverpool, L3 6HE, Merseyside - Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette: EW Pugin's first semicircular apsidal design. Original stained glass by Hardman & Co. Altar to Our Lady of Wilna, 1893. PP Pugin's High Altar & partly wooden reredos were destroyed by fire c.1980/81, when the pulpit was removed. The present W. end entrance is not original, but dates from 1970/1. The design of this church (which was much influenced by the Rt Rev Alexander Goss, Bishop of Liverpool) served as the prototype for many of EW Pugin's subsequent churches. The dedication was originally intended to be to St Helen.
- 1859(31 May)-60(26 Aug): Westby, PR4 3PL, Lancs. - St Anne (& presbytery): built, partly through the munificence of Miss A Orrell and Messrs Billington & Hodgson, on land paid for by (the late) Miss Elizabeth Dalton of Thurnham Hall; replaces an earlier (unrealised) design with J Murray. High Altar carved by W Farmer; flanking pinnacled niches containing statues (together with the matching pinnacle above the exposition throne) removed c.1930. Tabernacle (1860) & stained glass (1860 & 1866/67) by Hardman & Co, with additional stained glass 1894, 1909 & 1917. The bellcote (similar in design to that realised at St Mary Immaculate Warwick and St Teresa of Avila, Ashford) was dismantled sometime after 1872. By 1889, it was found necessary to support the elaborate roof timbers with iron columns, and to counteract the lateral thrust of the roof upon the walls by means of buttresses; this work was carried out under the superintendence of PP Pugin during 1889-90 (when also a new organ gallery was installed).
- 1859(31 May)-60(11 Nov): Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 7DG, Lancs. - St Ann: prematurely opened for use on 4th Dec 1859; tower at the SW angle never completed, and the surmounting spire never built; church severely damaged in the Murphy riots of 1868.
- 1859(8 June)-60(12 June): Warwick, CV34 6AB, Warks. - St Mary Immaculate: project (including a presbytery) dates from 1858, when EW Pugin was in partnership with J Murray, but whether Murray was involved with the realised design is unknown; some stained glass by T Dury of Warwick, 1868.
- 1859(13 June)-60(14 Oct): Liverpool, L3 2AP, Merseyside - Holy Cross (& presbytery, OMI - Oblates of Mary Immaculate): commission won by EW Pugin in an invited competition with Messrs Weightman, Hadfield and Goldie. Church erected partly through the munificence of a private individual; a rare example of an EW Pugin parish church in which the roof was elaborately groined throughout; original carving by EE Geflowski. Church was extended 1874-75 (under the direction of CW Pugin, after EW Pugin's death) by the addition of one bay to the E. end of the nave & aisles, and the building of an apsidal chancel & side chapels; side altars (1879), High Altar (1882) by Pugin & Pugin, all carved by RL Boulton. The church was destroyed by bombing in 1940/1, but the presbytery survived. The church was rebuilt, 1952-54 (Foundation Stone laid earlier in 1949 on the centenary of the foundation of the parish) to approximately the same ground plan as the original church, to the design of CHC Purcell. It was closed by the Archdiocese of Liverpool in 2001, and demolished in 2003. CHC Purcell, a grandson of AWN Pugin, was the last member of the firm of Pugin & Pugin (see Appendix I under Ashlin).
- 1859(15 Aug)-66(29 Jun): (with GC Ashlin): Cork, Ireland - Ss Peter & Paul: a replacement of a chapel (of 1776) in Carey St with the same dedication. The apse geometry is unusual for EW Pugin in that it is not semi-octagonal, but consists of five sides of a twelve-sided polygon. Side altars by EW Pugin; his original High Altar & reredos were only temporary, and were replaced (in 1874) with permanent ones by Ashlin; pulpit by Ashlin, 1875. Carving (some to designs of JH Powell) by Earley & Powell (Dublin), W Farmer (London) and Hardman & Co (Dublin); stained glass by Barnett of Leith. The intended spire to the tower at the NW. angle was never built, owing to foundational problems. After the Foundation Stone was laid, EW Pugin went in partnership (in 1860) with GC Ashlin under the style Pugin & Ashlin.
- 1860(8 Dec)-62(25 May): Birkenhead, CH41 8AQ, Merseyside - Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception (& presbytery): evolved, in 1859, out of an unrealised project for Birkenhead Cathedral; the intended spire to the NE. tower was never built. Chancel commenced 1874 to the design of EW Pugin, and completed in 1877 by CW & PP Pugin, with carving by M Geflowski, and stained glass by Hardman & Co; High Altar & reredos by Pugin & Pugin, 1899; present marble altar rails (c.1930s) are by CHC Purcell (loc. cit.). The church was damaged by bombing in 1941, but reopened in 1951 after faithful restoration (apart from a few minor internal & external features). The presbytery was totally destroyed by the bomb that damaged the church.
- 1861(11 April)-62(27 Feb): Rusholme, M14 5SG, Greater Manchester - St Edward the Confessor (& presbytery): built partly through the munificence of Messrs Bernard & Peter O'Connor of Rusholme. Stained glass windows by Edmundson & Son, and encaustic tiles by Minton. The projected spire surmounting the tower at the SW. angle was never built; presbytery not built until some time after the opening of the church.
- 1861(9 May)-61(17 Nov): Huyton, Liverpool, L36 5SR, Merseyside - St Agnes (& presbytery): built on land given by the Maj. Molyneux-Seel (see also Harrington House and Seel's Building). Contains the Seel Chantry; a cloister connects the church to the presbytery. Church demolished 1965, and replaced the same year; the presbytery survives.
- 1861(21 May)-62(16 July): Stafford, ST17 4AW, Staffs. - St Austin: project, to replace a chapel of 1817-18 by Edward Jerningham, dates from 1859. Built through the munificence of Lord Stafford and Messrs. Serjeant Bellasis & Francis Whitgreave (for whom EW Pugin had designed Burton Manor). Apse stained glass by Hardman & Co, W. window from the earlier chapel. Projected NW. tower & 'wedge' spire (a smaller version of that at Ss Augustine and John, Dublin was never built and neither was an alternative design involving an octagonal belfry & spire at the NW. angle). High Altar & reredos by Pugin & Pugin, carved by AB Wall, 1884 (removed 1958); Lady Altar (1887) & Sacred Heart Altar (1894) by Pugin & Pugin, both partially destroyed in 1958.
- 1861(Jul)-62(10 Aug): Haddington, E. Lothian, EH41 4DA, Scotland - St Mary: altar & interior decoration by Messrs Potts of Edinburgh; stained-glass apse windows by Messrs Keir of Glasgow, 1872.
- 1862(12 Jun)-63(22 Nov): Stretford, M32 8LD, Greater Manchester - St. Ann (& presbytery): built through the munificence of Sir Humphrey de Trafford, Bt, and replaced a temporary chapel of 1859. Dedication probably motivated by Annette being the name of Sir Humphrey's wife who gave the High Altar. Stained glass & metal-work by Hardman & Co, and carving by RL Boulton of Worcester. Presbytery & sacristy completed 1865.
- 1863(1 May)-64(10 Mar): Croydon, CR0 2AR, Surrey - Our Lady of Reparation (and presbytery): original cruciform plan not adhered to. Metal-work by Hardman & Co. Chancel deepened, width & height of original aisles much increased (almost to that of EW Pugin's original nave), and terminating chapels added by FA Walters, 1882. Church known locally as Our Lady's.
- 1863(11 May)-64(15 Aug): (with GC Ashlin): Our Lady's Island, Co. Wexford, Ireland - Church of the Assumption: built partly through the munificence of J Hyacinth Talbot, MP. Completed shortly after the opening; a rare example of a vaulted (as opposed to timber-roofed) country church. Adjoins the parish of Tagoat with AWN Pugin's church of 1846. John Hyacinth Talbot - a former client of AWN Pugin (St Mary's, Tagoat, and The Assumption, both in Co Wexford, Ireland), and an uncle of 16th Earl of Shrewsbury's wife (who was a native of Blackwater, Co. Wexford) - married into the Redmond family of Wexford - see Kilanerin, Co. Wexford.
- 1863(25 May)-64(15 Nov): Framwellgate, Durham, DH1 5LZ, Co. Durham - Our Lady of Mercy & St Godric (& cloister connecting with adjacent convent - not by EW Pugin): replaces a temporary chapel of 1859. Chapel on S. side of the nave for the Sisters of Mercy of the neighbouring convent; stained glass by Barnett of Leith. W. end of the nave, incorporating a pinnacled tower (replacing EW Pugin's projected tower-cum-spire), completed by Pugin & Pugin, 1908 - a rare instance in which the chancel was completed before the W end of the nave; another is at Harwich.
- 1863(12 Jun)-66(26 Aug): (with GC Ashlin): Donnybrook, Co. Dublin, Ireland - Sacred Heart: High Altar by Ashlin, 1896; intended spire never built, but the supporting tower (at the NW. angle) was completed by the addition of a crenellated parapet stage with angle pinnacles in 1909-10. Some stained glass by Harry Clarke, 1924; side altar by W Earley (or Early) to the design of RH Byrne, 1934.
- 1863(2 July)-64(14 Sept): Stourbridge, DY8 1PQ, W. Midlands - Our Lady & All Saints (& presbytery): capitals of the pillars of the nave arcade remain uncarved. Tabernacle by Evans of Smethick, Minton tiles in the sanctuary; stained glass and reredos both by EW Pugin, added in 1875 after his death. Tower completed & surmounting spire built (to EW Pugin's design, which is very similar to that at St Anne, Stretford and St Patrick's, Fermoy, Co. Cork and that intended, but not realised, at Tralee) under the superintendence of GH Cox, 1889. The presbytery was not built until after the completion of the church.
- 1863(Aug or Sept)-64(14 Sept): Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey, ME12 1TS, Kent - Ss Henry & Elizabeth: built through the munificence of Capt Edward Henry Mostyn and his wife Anastasia Elizabeth (which accounts for the seemingly curious dedication). EW Pugin's High altar & reredos (minus the intended angels) carved by T Earp; metal-work by Hardman & Co. The present deeply recessed Rose window at the E. end of the S. aisle dates from 1888, and replaces the two original lancets. The pulpit (1886) is by FA Walters; two side altars (Our Lady, Holy Souls) were installed in 1904.
- 1863(29 Oct)-64(5 Jul): Hanwell, London W7 3SU - Our Lady & St Joseph: built through the munificence of Miss Ann Rabnett, who also gave the land. High Altar carved by T Earp; metal-work by Hardman & Co. Lady Chapel, 1904; chancel & transepts of 1914 (by W Gregory). Demolished 1963, and replaced (but incorporating some of the original stained glass) in 1967.
- 1863(Nov)-64(21 June): Rugby, CV22 5EL, Warks. - St Marie (& presbytery, IC - Rosminians): built, through the munificence of Capt JHW Hibbert, formerly of Bilton Grange, and Francis Barron of Bilton Grange. [Hibbert's wife (Julia Talbot - neé Tichborne) was the mother (via her first marriage to Charles Thomas Talbot) of Annette Mary Talbot (married Sir Humphrey de Trafford in 1855), and Bertram, 17th Earl of Shrewsbury. Bilton Grange was a house to which AWN Pugin made large additions & alterations, 1844-51.] An extensive rebuild of AWN Pugin's 1847 church, the nave of which became the S. aisle of the new church. The Lady Chapel of the earlier church was completely demolished to make way for the new nave into which AWN Pugin's High Altar was moved; it was returned to its original position in 1897-98 when the present High Altar & reredos (by TR Donnelly of Whitley Villa, Coventry, carved by RL Boulton) were installed. Pulpit of 1865 now removed. Also removed in 1960 (together with the oak choir stalls of 1904, carved by RL Boulton & Sons) was the original metal openwork chancel rood-screen; the Rood survives, and is now suspended from the ceiling. Lady Altar, 1900 (replacing one to St Joseph); Sacred Heart Altar (by Mayer of Munich, in oak), 1901 (replacing one to St Aloysius), which now lacks its central spire. Chancel walls faced with alabaster ashlar, 1901. The W. end was extensively remodelled (1871-72) by B Whelan, a former pupil and later secretary of EW Pugin, to include a new baptistery and belfry-cum-spire of 200 ft, which somewhat resembles AWN/EW Pugin's unrealised design for Shrewsbury Cathedral (personal communication, M Fisher, 2008). November 1863 is the month in which work commenced; it is possible that there was no ceremony for the laying of a Foundation Stone (and no record of such can be found), the work being essentially an extension (albeit a major one) of an existing church building. Presbytery could be as late as 1872.
- 1864(8 May)-65(24 Sept): Liverpool, L6 5EH, Merseyside - St Michael (& presbytery): The original roof was replaced in 1881, having sustained severe damage in a hurricane; the High Altar & reredos are later additions (most likely by Pugin & Pugin), and the baptistery at the NW angle of 1932 is by FX Verlade.
- 1864(31 May)-68(29 Oct): Whitehaven, CA28 7TE, Cumbria - St Begh/Bee (OSB Benedictines): built through the munificence of Mr F Charlton and Mr & Mrs Dees, on a site facilitated by Lord Lonsdale. Project & plans date from 1861. The W. end bell-cote (the design of which differed significantly from that proposed originally, being instead very similar to that of All Saints, Barton Upon Irwell, built during the same period) has long since been dismantled; it was at first replaced by a metal cross, but even this has now disappeared. High Altar carved by RL Boulton of Cheltenham, and other internal carving by J Pickering of Carlisle; stained glass by Hardman & Co. Reredos of a later date, possibly by E Kirby, c.1876-79.
- 1864(June)-66(16 Sep): (with GC Ashlin): Monkstown, Co. Dublin, Ireland - St. Patrick: project dates from at least 1863. Altars & carving by Earley & Powell; encaustic tiles by Minton. Tower & spire not completed until 1881. Built on the site of an earlier uncompleted church designed by P Byrne, the Foundation Stone of which was laid on 29 June 1861.
- 1864(1 Aug)-65(18 Jun): Skelmersdale, WN8 8BX, Lancs. - St Richard (& presbytery): built on land given by Wm Rotherham of Skelmersdale. Presbytery doubled in size (repeating the original design) 1887.
- 1864(28 Aug)-65(29 Oct): Euxton, Chorley, PR7 6JW, Lancs. - St Mary: earlier plans for a church designed by H Clutton in 1859 were never realised. EW Pugin's church was built through the munificence of Geo Garstang & the Anderton Family. The design was much influenced by the Parish Priest, Rev J Worthy, who designed the original High Altar; the latter was replaced and a new reredos added (no longer extant) by E Kirby, 1888. In 1991, Kirby's mensa was moved forward of a (re-modelled) reredos. In place of the projected tower (not built for lack of funds), a quaint spire (attributed to PP Pugin) surmounts a clock-tower adjoined to the presbytery (designed by the Rev J Worthy), but was not completed until 1877.
- 1864(Aug)-65(2 May): Dunsop Bridge (formerly Whitewell), Clitheroe, BB7 3BG, Lancs. - Ss Mary & Hubert: built through the munificence of Richard Eastwood on land given by Col. C Towneley of Towneley Hall, Blackburn, Lancs. Their horse Kettledrum won the Derby Stakes in 1861 and the building of the church was financed out of the prize money. Some stained glass by JB Capronnier of Bruxelles. It was originally intended that the building be used also as a school-room; if this was ever the case, it was so for only a short time, since Towneley built a school nearby soon after the church was opened.
- 1864(30 Oct)-65(17 Sept): Widnes, WA8 6DB, Ches. - St Marie: built on ground given by Mr John Hutchinson, a local industrialist. The present W. end bell-cote (which predates 1900) is not to EW Pugin's original design in stone. Execution of EW Pugin's chancel and sacristies in 1876 by CW & PP Pugin, High Altar & reredos by Pugin & Pugin 1891. Closed by the Archdiocese of Liverpool in 2007, but still exists as a Grade II Listed Building.
- 1864(8 Dec)-65(18 June): Peel, IM5 1BR, Isle of Man - St Patrick: Chapel of Ease to Douglas until 1930. New altar installed 1906, now removed together with all original furnishings.
- 1864(30 Dec)-65(22 Aug): Ashford, TN24 8TX, Kent - St Teresa of Avila: built through the munificence of Lady Tufton, replacing a temporary chapel (of the same dedication) of 1862. The bellcote (similar to that at St Mary Immaculate, Warwick) was dismantled sometime prior to 1977. Stone altar of 1867 (March); chancel/sanctuary (containing the original High Altar?) added 1892, and stained glass E. windows of 1898, both through the munificence of a Mrs Piddlesden. Carved wooden pulpit of 1906; baptistery & porch (at the NW. angle) added in 1958. Church demolished 1990; new church (containing the original Baptismal Font and bas-reliefs from the original High Altar incorporated into the new one) 1991.
- 1865(25 May)-68(18 Jun): Barton-upon-Irwell, M41 7LG, Greater Manchester - All Saints and presbytery: built through the munificence of Sir Humphrey de Trafford, Bt. The church (replacing a chapel of c.1830) was added on to the pre-existing de Trafford Chantry of 1863, which is at the NE. angle of the church. Alternating courses of Runcorn (red) and Painswick (white) stone are used interiorally to great effect, with carving (including High Altar & reredos) by RL Boulton. Chancel windows by JH Powell of Hardman & Co; chancel mural (showing EW Pugin) by JA Pippett. Sacristies of 1901-02 by Pugin & Pugin; Lady Chapel tryptych (1902) attributed to S Pugin Powell.
- 1865(22 Jun)-66(23 Oct): Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6UJ, Warks. - St Gregory the Great (OSB Benedictines): the financial support of JF Tempest (an elder brother of Monica - see Sacred Heart, Blackpool) was instrumental in securing this commission for EW Pugin in the face of GR Blount's earlier design of 1862. Internal carving (including reredos) by RL Boulton of Worcester; stained glass by T Dury of Warwick, and ornamental brass-work by Hardman & Co. The present W. front (and porch incorporating the original main entrance) dates from 1957-58, when foundational problems necessitated a complete rebuild of the W. wall, but to a quite different design: the buttresses of the original tripartite W. front were removed, as was the bell-cote, and the original rose window replaced by a 3-light window with geometrical tracery. The present W. end bell-cote of 1988 is on a much smaller scale than the original dominating design (which can be seen reproduced at St Joseph, Birkdale, built during the same period, where it is reproduced in brick with stone). Despite its appearance, the presbytery is not by EW Pugin, but the original northern part dating from 1889 could well be by PP Pugin.
- 1865(29 Jun, (with GC Ashlin)-72(29 Jun, completed possibly (according to S. Walsh, ref iii) by EW Pugin)): Kilanerin, Co. Wexford, Ireland - Ss Peter & Paul: Built through the munificence of the Esmonde Family of Ballynastragh & the Redmond Family of Wexford.
- 1865(15 Oct)-67(12 May): Birkdale, PR8 2AY, Lancs. - St Joseph and presbytery: built through the munificence of Mr T Weld Blundell who gave also the land. Further carving by Miles of Preston and installation of stained glass in the E. window by Wailes of Newcastle in May 1868 to mark the first anniversary of the church's dedication. The present wide S. aisle, together with Lady altar and reredos by Pugin & Pugin, is a later addition (c.1898), as also is the reredos (possibly by Sebastian Pugin Powell, c.1936) to the original High Altar. The bell-cote now lacks its surmounting metal cross.
- 1865-68(24 May): (with GC Ashlin): Arles, Co. Laois, Ireland-Sacred Heart: built through the munificence of Mrs Grace of Gracefield; a mirror-image of the design of Kilanerin, Co. Wexford. Altars, communion rail & stained glass by Earley & Powell.
- 1866(17 May)-67(24 Nov): Fleetwood, FY7 6DT, Lancs. - St Mary: site given by Sir Peter Fleetwood, Bt; plans date from 1865. The original High Altar was carved by T Earp; sanctuary extended by Pugin & Pugin, c.1909 (including a new High Altar and marble altar rails); Lady Altar installed as a War Memorial in 1921. Intended tower & spire (disjoint from the W. end) never built; presbytery by CW & PP Pugin, 1877.
- 1866(21 May)-67(12 Dec): Preston, PR1 1NA, Lancs. - St Thomas of Canterbury & the English Martyrs: original High Altar carved by T Earp; St Joseph altar, with carving by RL Boulton, 1868. Internal decorative scheme to the designs of EW Pugin completed by Messrs Park of Preston in Oct 1877. The church was enlarged by about one third by Pugin & Pugin, 1887-1888, when the nave & aisles were extended eastwards by two bays, a W. porch & transepts added, and the apsidal chancel rebuilt; the new chancel incorporates, but at a higher level, EW Pugin's reredos of niched statues, but his High Altar was replaced by one by PP Pugin. The intended SW. tower was never built.
- 1866(14 Jun)-67(21 May): Wolverhampton, WV10 0QQ, W. Midlands - St. Patrick and presbytery: intended NW. saddle-back tower never built. High Altar, side altars & altar rails (all by Pugin & Pugin) c.1910. Church demolished in 1972; new church of 1972 contains seven stained glass windows from the EW Pugin building.
- 1866(15 July)-67(28 Aug): Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 1XW, Cumbria - St Mary of Furness: built (partly through the munificence of James Ramsden) on land given by the Duke of Devonshire; tower and spire, to the original design, at the SW. angle added 1889, under the superintendence of HV Krolow of Liverpool & St Helens. Church extended 1894.
- 1866(21 Oct)-67(8 Dec): Bootle, Liverpool, L20 8BH, Merseyside - St Alexander (& presbytery): dedication is to the patron saint of the Bishop of Liverpool, The Rt Rev Dr Alexander Goss. Slender octagonal spired turret at the NW. angle, with bell installed 1868 (8 Mar); Goss Memorial Window unveiled 7th May 1876. The original nave of seven bays was extended eastward by three bays by Pugin & Pugin in 1884 when the original apsidal chancel under the same roof line as nave was replaced by a square-ended one, again under the same roof line, with a new High Altar by Pugin & Pugin, 1898. Church destroyed by bombing in May 1941. Later rebuilt to a design of FX Verlade, but demolished in 1991. EW Pugin's presbytery to the S. of the church was realised by Pugin & Pugin 1875-76; it survived the Blitz, as did the school to the N. of the church.
- 1866?-69(10 Aug): Barking, IG11 8HG, Essex - Ss Mary & Ethelburga: replaced an earlier schoolroom/chapel of 1857; built (partly through the munificence of Countess Tasker) on a site given by Lord Petre. Somewhat similar in design to EW Pugin's church at Hanwell. Roof supported on cast-iron pillars (similar to those now at St Anne's, Westby), and surmounted by a dominatingly large (spired) wooden bell-cote located a little way E. of the W. gable, again similar to that at Hanwell. The church was demolished 1979 and replaced by one containing certain items from the original, such as stained glass and the Baptismal Font (now used as a Holy Water stoup).
- 1867(23 April)-71(30 May): Dewsbury, WF13 2SE, W. Yorks. - Our Lady & St Paulinus and presbytery: partly inspired (according to ref. xvi) by AWN Pugin's 1838 design for his church in Dudley). Built on the side of a hill, necessitating a deep crypt that accommodates a sacristy under the chancel and other rooms under the nave. Projected bell tower at side of chancel never built; original stained glass only in S. aisle, by Booer of Leeds, with later additions by Kayll & Reed of Leeds.
- 1867(30 May), (with GC Ashlin)-69(10 Oct, completed by Ashlin): Glasthule, Co. Dublin, Ireland - St Joseph (& presbytery): Intended SW. tower and spire never built.
- 1867(1 Jun)-68(15 May): Dover, CR16 1RU, Kent - St Paul: built through the munificence of the Countess de Front, upon the death of her brother Sir Thomas Fleetwood, on a site purchased in 1861 through Maj. Molyneux Seel. Apsidal chancel to the design of EW Pugin added in 1873. The present externally gabled large central apse lancet is not original, but dates from alterations of 1959, which included removal of the reredos (installed in 1881 by Pugin & Pugin, but very much in the style of EW Pugin), and the cutting of a N. door. Roof & internal fittings destroyed by fire in October 1987; the faithfully restored church reopened one year later.
- 1867(25 Aug), (with GC Ashlin)-69(22 Aug, completed by Ashlin): Ballyhooley, Co. Cork, Ireland - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary: a model for Ashlin's church at Carrigtwohill (see Preface.)
- 1868(19 Mar), (with GC Ashlin)-69(4 Oct, completed by Ashlin): Glenealy, Co. Wicklow, Ireland - St Joseph: the final commission of the Pugin-Ashlin partnership; built on land given by Mr Tighe of Rossanagh. W. front is similar to St Paul's, Dover.
- 1868(12 May)-69(20 July): Longton, ST3 5RD, Staffs. - St Gregory and presbytery: built partly though the munificence of Mr Radcliffe & Mrs Hamilton. Plans date from 1866. Projected NW. tower and spire never built. Church demolished in 1968, on account of subsidence caused by mining. W. rose window by Barnett of Leith; Sacred Heart Altar, 1876, Lady Altar, 1878. Presbytery not built until 1880, under Pugin & Pugin; whether the design was theirs, or whether they simply oversaw the execution of EW Pugin's original design is unknown.
- 1868(14 July)-69(25 Oct): Brooms, Leadgate, DH8 6RS, Co. Durham - Our Blessed Lady & St Joseph: font & confessionals were incomplete at time of opening.
- 1869(3 Jun), (with GC Ashlin)-72(3 Jun, completed by Ashlin): Dublin, Ireland - St Kevin: replaced a wooden chapel of c.1861. Commission obtained as a result of a limited competition between WF Caldbeck and Pugin & Ashlin in 1868 prior to the dissolution of the partnership. Building work superintended by Ashlin, but the intended tower & spire at the NW. angle was never realised; a rare example of a large aisleless church - see also St Anne's, Rock Ferry, Merseyside.
- 1869(22 Aug)-73(29 Jun): Crosshaven, Co. Cork, Ireland - St Brigid: replaced an earlier (unrealised) design of 1868 by Pugin & Ashlin. Work supervised Wm Collingridge Barnett, who became EW Pugin's new Irish representative after the dissolution of the Pugin & Ashlin partnership. The projected tower-cum-spire surmounting a N. porch was never built. The church was extended 1960-63 to externally match the original, and a free-standing modern tower supporting a steel-framed spire sheathed in copper was erected SW. of the church 1969-70. Apart from an ongoing involvement with Cobh Cathedral and Ss Augustine and John, Dublin, this was EW Pugin's final Irish church commission.
- 1869(3 Oct)-72(24 Jun): Cleator, CA23 3AB, Cumbria - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (formerly OSB Benedictine): intended apsidal E. end never built. High Altar & reredos of 1885 by Pugin & Pugin, sculpted by AB Wall. Stained glass by Earley & Powell of Dublin, and Barnett of Leith. Presbytery to the 1882 design of Pugin & Pugin not built until after 1892.
- 1869-69(3 Nov): Harwich, Essex - Our Lady of Mount Carmel: built partly through the munificence of Countess Tasker who chose EW Pugin's design out of two others submitted. When opened, the W. half of the projected design which included a bell-cote on the W. gable was not built, a situation similar to that at Our Lady of Mercy and St Godric, Durham. The church was extended 1915-18, when the internal layout was reversed, and a door cut into the original E wall. Rendered unusable by floods 31 Jan/1 Feb 1953, after which it was demolished. New church of 1955 in Dovercourt incorporates some items (such as stained glass) from the original.
- 1867(May), (with GC Ashlin)-71(27 Aug, completed by Ashlin): Monkstown, Co. Cork, Ireland - Sacred Heart and presbytery: Foundation Stone not laid until 1870 after dissolution of the Pugin-Ashlin partnership; double-gabled transepts replace the single-gabled ones originally intended, whilst the design of the spire, built 1876-77, that surmounts the tower that abuts the N. transept is quite different from the broach design shown in the architects' drawings, and could well be by Ashlin. Stained glass by Barnett of Leith. Presbytery built 1868.
- 1870-1873(Aug): Glenfinnan, PH37 4LT, Inverness-shire, Scotland - Ss Mary & Finnan: built through the munificence of Rev D MacDonald, brother of the Laird of Glenaladale. The intended S. tower was never completed, owing to lack of funds; the original sanctuary fittings were removed c.1971. The church is a memorial chapel to the MacDonalds of Glenaladale, the family with whom Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed prior to the raising of the Jacobite Standard at Glenfinnan in August 1745. The church contains memorial stones to the Prince and to members of the MacDonald family.
- 1871(Jul)-72(21 Apr): Nechells, W. Midlands - St Joseph and presbytery: evolved out of AWN Pugin's mortuary chapel of 1850 for Birmingham's first Catholic Cemetery, and served as a parish church from 1867. The chapel, which was internally divided longitudinally by two wide arches to form a chancel & Lady Chapel, became the chancel and Lady Chapel of EW Pugin's church, formed by the addition of a nave & a parallel N.aisle, an integration of AWN & EW Pugin works similar to that at St Marie's, Rugby. Chancel stained glass by Hardman & Co. and by S Evans of Smethwick. Original reredos to High Altar replaced 1902. Pier capitals in the AWN Pugin part of the building are not the originals, but are post-1945, and are by Sir Giles Scott, who also did the Lady Chapel reredos. July 1871 is the month in which work commenced; it is possible that there was no ceremony for the laying of a Foundation Stone (and no record of such has yet been found), the work being essentially an extension (albeit a major one) of an existing church building.
- 1872(12 Jun)-73(15 Oct): Brierley Hill, Nr. Dudley, DY5 3AE, Staffs. - St Mary: Tower at the SW. angle never completed. High Altar (given by Basil T Fitzherbert of Swinnerton Park, Staffs) relocated in the late 1960s when the Sacred Heart and Lady altars were removed; pulpit by Alfred Emery.
- 1872(14 Dec)-74(16 Jul): Greengate, Salford, M3 7EW, Greater Manchester - St Peter and presbytery: tower at the SE. angle remained incomplete, and the intended surmounting spire was never built. High Altar & reredos of 1883. Closed by the Diocese of Salford in 1984, and then demolished.
- 1873(18 May)-76(22 Jun): Tower Hill, London, E1 8BB - The English Martyrs (OMI - Oblates of Mary Immaculate): built largely through the munificence of the Carthusians of Grande Chartreuse in memory of those of their brethren who were executed in London in 1535, and replaces a temporary chapel of 1865. Building proper delayed for two years because of difficulties in obtaining the freehold title of the site. A novel feature (for EW Pugin) of the interior is the provision of triforium galleries above the side aisles/passages to increase the seating capacity at this cramped site; completed by CW & PP Pugin. NW. tower & spirelet are very similar to that at St Alexander, Bootle. Pulpit of 1877, and presbytery by Pugin & Pugin, 1881; High Altar by JS Gilbert, 1930.
- 1873(9 Oct)-76(21 Sept): Workington, CA14 3EP, Cumbria - Our Lady Star of the Sea & St Michael (OSB - Benedictines): partially completed by CW & PP Pugin, and finally by Pugin & Pugin in 1882 with the construction of the N. aisle; W. gallery, altar rails & decorative carvings; reredos of 1897.
- 1875(9 May)-77(30 Aug): Warrington, WA1 2NS, Ches. - St Mary (OSB - Benedictines): built largely through the munificence of John Ashton, and completed by CW & PP Pugin. High Altar carved by RL Boulton, Minton sanctuary tiles to the design of CW Pugin, and stained glass by Hardman & Co. Pulpit 1882, High Altar reredos completed 1885, Lady altar 1889 (now dedicated to the English Martyrs), Sacred Heart altar and stone choir screens, 1890 - all by Pugin & Pugin, & carved by RL Boulton. Tower at the SW angle completed by Pugin & Pugin, 1906 with crenellated parapet & angle pinnacles in place of EW Pugin's intended spire with pinnacled angle turrets; Memorial Chapel, 1923.
- 1875(9 May)-77(28 Oct): Rock Ferry, CH42 2BY, Merseyside - St Anne (OMI - Oblates of Mary Immaculate): completed, apart from the intended belfry & spire stages of the SW. tower, by CW & PP Pugin. Rosary E. window of 1878 by JV Rowlands & Co of Liverpool, High Altar & reredos of 1880 (Tabernacle & curtain cranes by Hardman & Co, curtains by Crace & Son), Baptistery (1888), Lady Altar (1888), St Joseph's Altar (1895), & pulpit all by Pugin & Pugin, & carved by RL Boulton. Pitch-pine organ case (1900) to the design of by PP Pugin, Stations of the Cross to the design of PP Pugin, executed by de Beule of Ghent (1907), & altar rails (1932) by CHC Purcell of Pugin & Pugin, identical in design to those at Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Birkenhead but more richly embellished with coloured mosaics. Side-aisles added in 1934 (with marble altars of 1953), and flying buttresses to the transepts in 1935. Presbytery (1884-85) is by PP Pugin. High Altar and pulpit were destroyed in the 're-ordering' of 1980 when the baptismal font was moved out of the baptistery and the altar rails removed, although short sections of them were retained and relocated in the sanctuary.
- 1863-64: Sheerness, Kent - Presbytery attached to the church of Ss Henry & Elizabeth: EW Pugin's Obituary in The Builder (ref. i) attributes the presbytery to EW Pugin. The Architect of 5th May, 1876 reported that a tender for a new presbytery by CW & PP Pugin had been won by Messrs Geere & Guly. According, however, to a history of the parish by R Carstairs (1992), the present presbytery, which does not look at all Puginesque, was designed by a Mr Guilly of Sheerness; it seems likely that this is the same person who won the tender.
- post 1869: Barking, Essex - Presbytery attached to the church of Ss Mary & Ethelburga: known as St Ethelburga's House.
- c.1870: Ramsgate, Kent - Chapel of Ease: for use by patrons of the Granville Hotel.
- 1857: (with J Murray): Dadizele, Belgium - Basilica de Notre Dame: a precursor of EW Pugin's realised design.
- 1858: (with J Murray): Westby, PR4 3PL, Lancs. - St Anne (& presbytery): a design with transepts and a straight-ended chancel, and different to that as built.
- 1858: (with J Murray): Warwick, CV34 6AB, Warks. - St Mary Immaculate (presbytery): to what extent this is the same as the design of 1859 is unknown.
- 1859: Highgate Hill, London N19 5NE - St Joseph's Retreat (Passionists): EW Pugin was approached, and provided a sketch of a possible church, which was, however, rejected by the Congregation on the grounds of both design and cost. In 1861, a church to the design of J Bird of Hammersmith (future father-in-law of PP Pugin) was opened, and completed in 1863. It was demolished in 1888, and replaced in 1889 with a church by A Vicars (who had overseen the redecoration of the previous church in 1880), which contains some fittings from the 1861 church.
- 1859-60: Tower Hamlets, London - First designs for the German Church (St Boniface), & presbytery.
- Pre-1861: Stafford, ST17 4AW, Staffs. - St Austin: two designs for the NW. tower, one of which is shown above in Fig.37b; the other is an octagonal belfry & spire (Fig.128).
- 1864-67: (with GC Ashlin): Ferrybank, Waterford City, Ireland - New church at Ferrybank: only the tower & spire of the original design were built, the church itself being built later to the design of Ashlin & Coleman, 1903-04.
- 1865: Sutton Coldfield, W. Midlands - Chapel of Ease: see Fig.37a.
- 1865-69: Birmingham, W. Midlands - St Catherine's Church, Horse Fair: Church built 1874-75 to the design of AM Dunn & E Hansom; replaced 1964.
- 1866: (with GC Ashlin): Brosna, Co. Kerry, Ireland - Ss Moling & Carthage: a cruciform church with a tower at the NW. angle. Later built (1869-70) to a modified (non-cruciform design by Ashlin (see Preface), in which the tower of the original design was replaced by a W. gable bell-cote.
- 1866: Kilburn, London NW6 4PS - Sacred Heart (OMI): to what extent (if any) the church of 1878-79 attributed to Pugin, Ashlin & Pugin might incorporate elements/features EW Pugin's design is unknown.
- 1868: Hanley, Staffs. - Church: intended (together with a presbytery & school) to replace the school/chapel of 1860 (by Henry Ward & Son of Hanley) dedicated to St Mary & St Patrick; a church dedicated to the Sacred Heart was eventually built 1889-91, the architect being HV Krolov of St Helens & Liverpool. Krolov resigned as architect before the church was finished, and was replaced by Robt Scrivener & Sons. It is possible that the design incorporates elements of EW Pugin's projected church, since in 1889 Krolov oversaw the completion of the tower & spire to EW Pugin's design at his church in Barrow-in-Furness and thus had access to EW Pugin drawings at the time the Hanley church was commenced. The presbytery was built to EW Pugin's design in 1870.
- 1868: (with GC Ashlin): Crosshaven, Co. Cork, Ireland - St Brigid: later built to EW Pugin's own design of 1869.
- ca.1868-69: Harwich, Essex - Our Lady of Mount Carmel: first design for this church (which was rejected on account of cost), and the western half of the second (realised) design.
- 1873: Farnworth, Lancs. - St Gregory the Great: the building was put out to tender, but the church was built 1873-76, to the design of E Kirby; church closed 2004.
- 1874: Tower Hamlets, London - St Boniface's Church & presbytery: a second submitted design in German Gothic, this time to replace the former church that collapsed on 30 April 1873. A church in Romanesque style by J Young Jr with the same dedication was opened in 1875.
- c.1866: Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 1XW, Cumbria - Presbytery at the church of St Mary of Furness: built to the design of J O'Byrne of Liverpool.
- 1867: Birmingham, W. Midlands - St Peter's Church: a possible replacement of the 1786 church in Broad St; the original church continued to be used until 1969 when it was demolished.
- 1873: West Bromwich, W. Midlands - St Michael & All Angels' Church: intended as a memorial to Hon Fr George (Ignatius) Spencer, CP (d. 1864), replacing the church completed by him in 1832; new church built 1875-77 (tower & spire, 1911) to the design of AM Dunn & E Hansom.
COMMISSIONS/WORKS NOTIFIED IN CONTEMPORARY ARCHITECTURAL JOURNALS AND ELSEWHERE, WHICH WERE POSSIBLY ERRONEOUSLY ATTRIBUTED, NEVER EXECUTED, OR FOR WHICH NO EVIDENCE OF EXECUTION HAS YET BEEN FOUND
- 1858: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear - Church: a church by James Gilles Brown, dedicated to Our Lady & St Patrick, was opened here in 1860.
- 1858: Hobart Town, Tasmania - Church: in the Tablet of 8th May 1858, it was reported that the new church in Hobart Town had been entrusted to EW Pugin. According to Brian Andrews, this almost certainly refers to a preliminary sketch design by AWN Pugin for the Rt Rev RW Willson, first Bishop of Hobart Town. Whilst the sketch was indeed returned to EW Pugin's office in 1853, no further work was done on it and the cathedral that was subsequently built there was designed by WW Wardell.
- 1859-60: Liverpool, Merseyside - Presbytery attached to the church of Our Lady of Reconciliation de La Salette: this is mentioned in Building News (Vol.5, p.464, 1859), but the present building is not at all Puginesque, and has been dated as of 1886.
- 1862-63: Anderton, Nr Chorley, Lancs - St Joseph's church: this church continues to be erroneously attributed to EW Pugin; the architect was JH Pollen of London.
- 1863: (with GC Ashlin): Cork, Co Cork, Ireland - St Michael's church: completion of the church of c.1838. The dedication is in error, since it is referred to as a Capuchin church, the dedication of which is to the Holy Trinity; there is, however, no record of any work here by Pugin & Ashlin, although Ashlin & Coleman did lengthen the chancel, 1906-08.
- 1867: Birkdale, Lancs. - Presbytery attached to the church of St Joseph: this is mentioned in The Builder of 6th July, 1867 but the present building is not at all Puginesque; it is possible, however, that the building of the S. aisle (and accompanying alterations to the sacristy) c.1898 necessitated the demolition of EW Pugin's original presbytery.
- 1867: (with GC Ashlin): Carrickbeg, Co. Tipperary, Ireland - Church.
- 1868: (with GC Ashlin): Stradbally, Co. Waterford, Ireland - Parish Church: the church here is of 1834. A tower was added in 1870, and an apse in 1873, but the architect(s) is (are) unknown.
- 1871: Malvern, Worcs. - Church and presbytery, OSB: church dedicated to St Joseph built 1876 to the design of TR Donnelly of Coventry.
- 1872: Oxford, UK - Jesuit Church: EW Pugin's appointment as architect was through Baroness Weld (d. 1871 - see also St Joseph's Chapel, St George's Cathedral, Southwark, Hanwell, Convalescent Home and Woolton Hill) who bequeathed £7000 for the provision of a Catholic church here, provided EW Pugin (or if no longer living, G Goldie) was architect. In the event, however, the church, dedicated to St Aloysius, was built to the design of JA Hansom, 1873-75.
- 1874: New York City, USA - Church of St Paul (Paulist Fathers, CSP): on 8th Avenue, facing Central Park; scheme abandoned. A neo-gothic church was built on 9th Avenue (between 59-60th Streets) 1876-1884 to the designs of J O'Rourke under the superintendence of Fr George Deshon CSP, who succeeded as architect after O'Rourke's resignation.
- 1874: Chicago, USA - Churches: several reported commissioned.
- 1874: Washington, USA - Churches: several reported commissioned.
- nd: Batley (W. Yorks) - Church: there is a Catholic church, St Mary of the Angels, in Batley, which was opened in 1870, but its architects were Adam & Kelly of Leeds; Batley, however, is only two miles from Dewsbury where there is a church by EW Pugin, so it is possible that the Batley entry in the Obituaries actually duplicates that to Dewsbury.
- nd: Blackrock (Ireland) - Church: this could refer to Monkstown at Co Dublin, which is only two miles distant.
- nd: Cuba (W. Indies) - Church: has also been described as a monastery, but has so far eluded identification.
- nd: Guernsey (Channel Islands) - Church: AWN Pugin was architect of St Joseph's church in St Peter Port, Guernsey, and Pugin & Pugin added the dominating spire in 1899, but there is no record of EW Pugin ever being involved.
- nd: Oldham (Greater Manchester) - Church.
- nd: Stratford - Church: it has, on occasion, been assumed that this is Stratford in E. London, and, accordingly, the church of St Vincent de Paul there has been attributed to EW Pugin; its style, however, is not Gothic, and the archives of the OFM who took over in 1873 explicitly state that the attribution to EW Pugin is erroneous, and probably arose from the two references to Stratford in the EW Pugin's Obituary in The Building News; one of these most certainly refers to his church in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, whilst the other is most likely a misprint for Stretford in Manchester to which the obituary makes no reference.
- nd: Clapton, London - St Scholastica's Church (1874): on the same site as St Scholastica's Retreat; a dual-purpose school-room/chapel (an arrangement similar to those listed in Dual Purpose Chapel/School-Room Buildings) was built in 1882, but not to EW Pugin's design.